Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Curbing Bad Behavior

Our students are tech-savvy so monitoring Chromebooks can feel like chasing your shadow! We know it is important, but it is a challenge. Teachers are responsible for how students are using technology under your watch. The Technology Guidelines even make this statement (emphasis added):
It shall be the responsibility of all members of the Mt. Zion CUSD #3 staff to educate, supervise and monitor appropriate usage of the online computer networks and access to the Internet in accordance with this policy, the Children’s Internet Protection Act, the Neighborhood Children’s Internet Protection Act, and the Protecting children in the 21st Century Act. 
My first 2 years of  1:1 Chromebooks were filled with trial and error. Here are the steps that have worked for me, but you will need to adapt them to your own classrooms.

1. Inspect what you expect!
The greatest deterrent to inappropriate Chromebook behavior is periodic, unpredictable inspections. Have you ever noticed how some classrooms have desks completely cleared at the end of the day and others don't? Some classrooms consistently fill out assignment books and others don't? Teacher expectation and follow-through are crucial. So, if students are continually going to inappropriate sites or mishandling their computer privileges, it is the teacher's fault. Ouch! When you start teaching students what you expect and checking to be sure they are following through, the problems lessen.

Start the year with frequent checks of student history. I call it "History and Hands Off." Whenever I say those words, my students click the 3 dots in the upper right corner of their screen, choose "history," and put their hands on the desk or in their laps. I take a quick trip around the classroom and then students go back to work. After the first week of school, students know that a check could come at any time, and that keeps most of them honest. If I see any site that students were not directed to open, I take the student's Chromebook. After a week of writing down all of the questions, answers, assignments, spelling tests, etc. Students know that I have a zero-tolerance policy. I did have a student who lost privileges the second time this year, but that is rare.

2. Show students what you can access.
Begin the year with an explanation of the Mt. Zion Student Technology Guidelines. Be sure students know that every click that they make on that Chromebook is trackable, permanent, and monitored. I explain to students about my personal and school accounts on Google. I tell them, "Mr. Rockey doesn't need to know when my sons are sick or what I ordered for Christmas on Amazon." Students need to know that their @mtzschools accounts are like their writing journals and textbooks. These accounts belong to the school and everything on them is public whether they share it or not. Here is the exact language from the Student Technology Guidelines. (Emphasis added.):

E. Security of System and Responsibilities of System Users Security in the system must be a high priority for all users. Do not disclose your log in ID or password to anyone, or attempt to log into the system as another person. Passwords should be changed periodically. The user is responsible for anything that occurs under their log in. If you become aware of any improper use of the system, or violation of security rules, you must notify an administrator, teacher, or the computer network system administrator immediately. Users should not expect files stored on school-based computers or on their school-based Google account will be private. Electronic messages and files stored on the school-based computers or on their school-based Google account may be treated like school lockers. Administrators and faculty may review files and messages to maintain the integrity of the system and ensure that users are acting responsibly. Files will be scanned on a regular basis.

To reinforce this, I open Hapara and show the students how I can access my daughter's email, documents, and web history from my teacher account. I open one of her documents from another classroom right on my Smartboard in the classroom. Then I send her an email and let the students see it pop up on the screen. After that, I give them a few minutes to delete anything that they don't think should be on their school account. I remind them that starting the next day, I will be checking to see that they have eliminated all personal information, Minecraft accounts, games, and additional bookmarks. Then I do it!

 3. Teach them Open/Close prompts.
Just as I tell students to get out textbooks, scissors, or markers, I monitor when Chromebooks are opened and closed. Teach your students to close the lid on command. When I say that we are moving on to the next subject, I tell students to file papers and to put away textbooks, so it only makes sense that they should be able to put away a digital project as well. When I say, "Close your Chromebooks" my students have about 5 seconds to do so. We practice this routine until it is second nature. With Google, work is typically saved, so there is no reason to entertain long transition times.

4. Display Hapara Current Screens
I don't have time to sit at my desk and verify that all of my students are following the rules. Students need my interaction and assistance, so I publicly display the Hapara Current Screens desktop on my SmartBoard whenever students are using their Chromebooks independently. Just knowing that their actions will be visible encourages smart choices. This isn't infallible, though. Some of my students figured out that if they split their screens, Hapara only shows the one that is active. When I give a test, I use the lock tab option of Hapara to ensure that students aren't accessing the calculator app or Google search.

Educational Resources

Here is a Youtube video that I show about Chromebook care to start the year:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Start the conversation here: